Are your teeth hiding your beautiful smile? Worry no more, yellow teeth occur gradually but can be treated and avoided through proper regimes. While deemed distasteful yellow teeth do not necessarily mean that a person is unhygienic.
Why are my teeth yellow?
- Lifestyle choices- ranges from smoking or chewing tobacco to the kind of food and drinks you have.
- Tobacco stains destroy the enamel.
- Drinks like coffee, red wine, soda and dark colored fruits like grapes cause teeth yellowing.
- Poor oral hygiene- failure to brush your teeth could cause accumulation of plaque, teeth yellowing or even diseases like bleeding gums or gingivitis.
- Excess fluoride- intake especially in young children from the excessive use of fluoride supplements or from the environment where drinking water has high levels of fluoride. This causes fluorosis or the yellowing of teeth.
- Medication- antibiotics like tetracycline, antihistamines or high blood pressure drugs cause teeth yellowing. Always consult with your doctor on the possible side effects of the drugs you are about to take.
- Illness and treatments- that affect the enamel and dentin that protect and cover the teeth. Treatments like chemotherapy and radiation could also cause yellowing of teeth.
- Hereditary disorder- passed down along generation lines where your genes could be naturally brighter enamel as compared to anyone else.
- Aging- as you grow old the enamels becomes thinner causing your teeth more susceptible to yellowing.
- Dental treatment- dental procedures like silver fillings [amalgam restorations] could cause teeth yellowing and staining.
How to prevent further yellowing
- Proper dental hygiene- brushing and flossing your teeth twice a day and using mouthwash .you should also get your teeth cleaned every 6 months to help reduce staining. Make sure to use fluoridated toothpaste.
- Avoid smoking- minimizing the number of tobacco cigarettes you smoke helps but does not go all the way. Stopping not only reduces your chances of teeth yellowing but also makes you healthier.
- Watch what you eat- avoiding certain food and drinks like sauces, ketchup, coffee, soda and red wine. Making sure you brush your teeth immediately after consumption is advisable and better than using a straw.
- There are many yellow teeth treatment approaches available but you should consult with your dentist on the most appropriate method to use. Wait until all your baby teeth have come out before bleaching [avoids some teeth from looking whiter than others]. Some approaches include:
- Use of mouth rinses and toothpaste recommended by the dentist
- Whitening trays
- Laser treatment by your dentist
- You could also follow the homemade treatment approach. Some of which include Rinsing out your mouth with coconut oil [oil pulling] after brushing your teeth.
- Making a baking powder paste with water and let it settle for three minutes. You could also use fresh lemon juice only here you let it settle for only a minute.
- Eat strawberries- as crazy as it may sound strawberries help remove surface stains and washes away plaque. You could also mash up your strawberries into a paste and brush with the mixture once or twice a week.
This approaches may take time but with the proper routine, they could rejuvenate your teeth and treating your yellow teeth.
Reveal your beautiful teeth now!